Wednesday 3 March 2010

Safty First !!!!!


Now William is a somewhat spoilt boy, totally my fault. The first night we brought him home I was determined that he would be a hardened guard dog, protector of the house and family. Off I went to bed leaving him in the kitchen, 1 hour later after constant howling (he is a hound dog it is what he does best) I moved him to the landing, 1 hour after that he had his own bed at the end of mine, and one hour after that he was fast asleep in my bed head on pillow under the duvet..... In truth the whole moving into my bed took about 45mins (he's not stupid)
As well as his love of comfort he is frightened of most things he cannot understand:-
  • Waves
  • Balloons
  • Celery
  • Puddles
  • Ice cream
  • Car rides
  • The vets
  • My mother
and so on..........

Naturally having such a fearless dog I have been worried about how he would take to the boat, and fingers crossed so far not to bad apart from:-

  • Getting on and off the boat (we did have one incident were he was holding on to the marina edge with his front paws and his back paws nearly touching the water, my partner has never moved so fast in his bid to save him)
  • When the engine starts up
  • When he runs out of pigs ears
  • When he can no longer see me
  • Going down in a lock (not happy about this one at all)
I also have the added fear that basset hounds are not the best swimmers in the world, so as luck would have it I found

Gas filled life jackets for dogs...
We have managed to get him secure in the harness but as yet I have not had the heart to throw him in the canal to test if it works...I can see bed wetting and nightmares on the way !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment